Monday 21 July 2008

Looking at Leaves

Amanda Means - Peacock PlantThe notion that black-and-white photography has an added dimension called "art" has always passed me by. To me it lacks a dimension: colour. But New York photographer Amanda Means could convert me with images such as this leaf from a Peacock Plant. She's used leaves as negatives to create dramatic, detailed blow-ups which emphasize Nature's architecture. Looking at Leaves is currently on display at the Harvard Museum of Natural History and continues until 8 February 2009. There's also a fascinating exhibition of sea creatures made of glass (title link).

2 Comments:

At 21/7/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both the leaf photos and the glass sea creatures look interesting. (I've seen the glass flowers made by the same father-son duo but didn't realize they'd done critters too.) I definitely want to check out these exhibits next time I'm in Boston. Thanks for the heads-up!

 
At 22/7/08, Blogger Unknown said...

You're welcome. Glad to be of service.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home