Friday 18 July 2008

A Sorolla Spinoza?

A Portrait of SpinozaThis Portrait of Spinoza by an unknown artist has now been attributed to JoaquĆ­n Sorolla by Spanish experts. I would like to know how they came to this conclusion, apart from wishful thinking. I can't see anything of Sorolla in this painting. It's flat, dull, lifeless and mediocre. Where is Sorolla's mastery of light and shadow? The painting has been recently cleaned, so it can't be that dirt is obscuring his art. Sorry, experts. I don't believe you. Where's your proof?

2 Comments:

At 18/7/08, Blogger Robert said...

I agree with you here, neither can I see any clue to Sorolla.

 
At 18/7/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Robert

Glad you agree with me. This doesn't show the high quality of his early realistic phase or the illumination of his impressionistic paintings. Have you seen his Boy With A ball? It's one of the finest life studies I've even seen. If you search for "Sorolla" on my blog, you should find it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home