Wednesday 24 September 2008

Dangerous Pop-ups

Panicware LogoAre you aware of the dangers of pop-ups? Research at North Carolina State University found that the majority of students - supposedly the computer-savvy generation - couldn't tell the difference between genuine pop-up warnings and user traps. They tended to click "OK" or "Yes" to get rid of the nuisance. But pop-ups are used by cyber criminals to install harmful software on PCs. Click "Yes" and you're asking for trouble. So be warned. Close the pop-up box. I'm still using Panicware's Free Pop-up StopperĀ® (CLICK). It allows Windows messages, but blocks anything else. I can override it when I need to see a pop-up.

2 Comments:

At 25/9/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a Mac, use Opera, the browser, the pop-ups no dodgy PC problems.

Regards

Bill

 
At 25/9/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Bill (Bill Gates, I assume).

What's a Mac? I'm still running Windows 98SE with IE6. A pop-up stopper is essential on this setup.

I was going to buy a new computer, but you can't get anything in the UK at a reasonable price that isn't infested with Vista! It's put me off buying a new PC. (Macs are ridiculously expensive over here and always have been.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home