Wednesday 31 December 2008

Berenson's Renaissance

Phaidon - Dust jacket of Bernard Berenson's The Italian Painters of The Renaissance (1952)Yesterday I asked if anyone knew the name of the artist who painted the portrait on the dust jacket of the 1952 Phaidon edition of Bernard Berenson's The Italian Painters of The Renaissance (scroll down or click the title link). No answer yet, but I did find a photo of the dust jacket at Amazon.com. (I tried Amazon.co.uk yesterday.) You can see what I mean about the blue sky. My copy is a first edition worth about £50. Not bad for 20p in a library book sale (original price 30 shillings). In later editions, did Phaidon correct the oversight of not naming the cover painting?

2 Comments:

At 30/6/09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Portrait of a Young Woman" by Antonio del Pollaiuolo, second half of the 15th century. To be found in Berlin's Gemaldegalerie.

 
At 30/6/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah! Thank you. That has been bugging me. I searched high and low for the answer, but ran out of patience and ideas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home