Monday 15 June 2009

Pixie Lott

Pixie Lott plus Shoe (I.C. combined graphic 2009)How does a top photographer portray the latest teenage pop princess? As a glamour queen? A sex symbol? Or the girl next door? This photo of 18-year-old Pixie Lott from Essex, whose debut single just made No 1 in the pop charts, manages to convey the best of all three aspects. The skimpy outfit shows off her lovely limbs in an innocent way, unconsciously sexy, not raunchy. She certainly looks glamorous, but note the scruffy sneakers. They say "girl next door". The photographer and the entire image-projection team have pressed all the right buttons to make Pixie look appealing to as many people as possible. Brilliant. Can she sing? CLICK to find out. (Note: the video goes for the raunchy look and is a complete bummer. Nice arse; shame about the song.)

5 Comments:

At 17/6/09, Anonymous Art News Blog said...

Yes, but where's the art Ian :-P

She is beautiful though.

 
At 17/6/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Woopidoo

The art is in getting it right. Look at the composition, the way she's putting a leg into a blank space, a step into the future for a new singer. Photo or painting, the composition is spot on. If you do some calculations, I bet you find it conforms to the Golden Section.

Gobsmacking images are what I want to see. I don't care whether they were produced by a camera, brushwork, pencil, scraperboard or any other medium, so long as they hit me where my art lives (I'm not sure where, but it is an emotion).

I remember sequences in Hithcock's The Birds which made me gasp, they were so artistic. (One of those sequences - seagulls drifting toward a burning petrol station - I later discovered was painted by a team of lady animators!)

 
At 17/6/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Hitchcock!

 
At 18/6/09, Anonymous Art News Blog said...

Yeah, nice composition.. nice legs too.

 
At 19/6/09, Blogger Unknown said...

And controlled used of colour, which really makes those flesh tones stand out.

Did I mention that any non-artist can slap paint on canvas? So far I've found elephant artists, a sealion, and piglets, all slapping paint around. And chimpanzee art sells well!

Humans must do something better than the beasts to claim to be artists. No animal could have composed that photo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home