Saturday 30 April 2011

Wedding Footnote

On the left is Prince William wearing spurs as he enters Westminster Abbey. I hope he took them off before the ceremony. On the right are the shoes of David and Victoria Beckham. "Posh" seems to be attempting to break a Guinness World Record for the highest heels at a royal wedding. In case you're wondering why the Queen seems to have demoted William from Prince to Duke of Cambridge, it's so Kate Middleton can be raised to Duchess, which allows her to put HRH in front of her name. As a commoner, she can't use the title Princess. To please the Scots and Northern Irish, the Queen has also granted Duke William the titles Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus (title link). So that makes Kate the Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus! Wouldn't it have been simpler to scrub royal protocol and call Kate "Princess"? That's what she is to most of us. Note: when Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer in 1981, he didn't need any more titles and, as Diana was an aristocrat, she could be raised to Princess. "The People's Princess"? I think we truly have one now. Princess Kate is an absolute charmer.

4 Comments:

At 1/5/11, Anonymous Mme Debrett said...

Just to be exceptionally nitpicking, Diana didn't automatically become a Princess, technically she became 'Diana, Princess of Wales', rather than Princess Diana. I'm afraid simply being an aristocrat doesn't cut the mustard in this case, and anyway, the Monarch is the ultimate authority on who gets what title.

The Duke of York's 2 daughters automatically became Princesses (in title, not in fashion sense!), because their Dad is a Prince, and they are granddaughters of a Monarch.

And just to continue you boring you rigid, if you are a Prince without any other title (eg Michael of Kent), your wife takes the title Princess+hubby's Christian name.

 
At 2/5/11, Anonymous Atlanta Roofing said...

I watched the wedding and I got the same impression from it. They are two people in love and since it wasn’t arranged and they fell in love the way they wanted too, it’s bound to last. I thought Kate looked amazing and I think she knows that she has huge shoes to fill and she’s ready to do that. I don’t like how everyone is comparing her to Princess Diana because that’s his mom and I just don’t think its right.

 
At 2/5/11, Blogger Unknown said...

They've lived together for 8 years, so they should know what they're doing. Like you, I'm sure it is a love match.

I heard that Prince Charles met Lady Diana only 11 times before they got married. That is a lousy way to prepare for marriage. Hardly surprising it failed.

Princess Diana seems to have been an excellent mum, despite problems with her husband and the royal family. She was unforgetable.

I was interested that people were comparing Kate to Grace Kelly, another beauty who married a prince. Grace was a style icon with excellent taste. The comparison bodes well for Kate.

And the trees in the Abbey were her idea. Brilliant! She also wanted the flower arrangements to be living plants that could be reused, not cut flowers. That says a great deal. A green princess is what we need.

 
At 2/5/11, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Mme Debrett

Knowledgeable nit-picking is always welcome. I like to get things right. If the nit-picking comes from Debrett's Peerage, I'm honoured.

One expert interviewed during BBC's coverage of the wedding suggested that if people wanted to call Kate "Princess" the monarchy would be relaxed about it.

I must admit I think the queen is out of touch with the popular view of duchesses. In fiction, they are often villainous. Maybe referring to Kate as "Princess" would start a quiet revolution....

I'm glad you appreciated my comments on the fashion sense of the royal bimbos! I'm waiting for MI5 to knock on my door!

Thank you for your comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home