Saturday 14 May 2011

Art Is Female

I must admit the suicide of Jerry playboy Gunter Sachs - formerly Mr Brigitte Bardot - didn't stir my interest until I found out he'd been something of an artist. In 2008 the Museum for Visual Arts in Leipzig, Germany, held a retrospective of his works Die Kunst ist weiblich (Art is Female). The photo shows a display from that exhibition. I can't accept a repeated photo of a bare-breasted model wearing kinky boots and a chainmail loincloth as high art, but it's certainly more artistic than signed urinals or unmade beds. I'm not sure how to interpret the show's title. Female beauty is the best subject of art? Or one needs to access one's feminine side to appreciate art? Or is it simply a play on gender in vocabulary?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home